KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS
The Sacred Heart Knights of Columbus Charter was granted on November 14, 1948. The initial group consisted of 46 members, with Fr. L. Amadio as Chaplain and R.J. Belluz as Grand Knight. The Hall was purchased from the Junior Chamber of Commerce at a cost of $1,500. And the Knights put a basement under the hall at a cost of $2,600. Volunteer labour was supplied by the members. The Knights brought great talent to Sioux Lookout for Civic Holiday weekends, sponsoring concerts and barbecues. They conducted draws to support the Arthritis Society; by 1981 Ontario Knights had contributed over two million dollars to Arthritis Research. There were also donations of over $55,000. To individuals in distress, community betterment, and local charities. The Knights of Columbus spent many thousands of hours in charitable and community work.
CATHOLIC WOMEN’S LEAGUE
During the war years (1939-45) the Ladies Altar Society joined the Red Cross, spending many evenings knitting and serving for the servicemen. In 1950 – 51 they served at a banquet for the opening of the Zone Hospital and sewed drapes for the new General Hospital. In the early 1950’s Fr. Amadio approached the Ladies Altar Society with a view to joining the Catholic Women’s League, and in 1952 the Ladies Altar Society became a subdivision of the Catholic Women’s League. The group worked at fundraising events for the support of the church building fund and at having parish bazaars. In June of 1977 the Sacred Heart Catholic Women’s League celebrated twenty-five years of activity. Fr. Donovan, OMI, was the Spiritual Director and Mrs. Jackie Kuzemchuk was President. Bishop O’Mara celebrated a Mass of Thanksgiving and a banquet and dance followed at the Knights of Columbus Hall. The highlight of the 60’s was the celebration of the twenty-sixth C.W.L. Diocesan Convention presented by the Sacred Heart CWL council. In 1981 twenty-five year pins were presented to thirty-five members of the Sacred Heart CWL.